Annual Review of Anthropology
Provides very useful overviews of research within the field. You can search the most recent volumes using the link provided here. The library provides earlier volumes through JSTOR.
GN 1 .A623
Encyclopedia of Cultural Anthropology. 4 vols.
Offers articles, arranged alphabetically by topic, on many concepts in cultural anthropology, as well as linguistics, biological anthropology and archaeology. Each essay contains an extensive bibliography.
Ref. GN 307 q.E52 1996 v. 1-4
Encyclopedia of Social and Cultural Anthropology.
Essays and bibliographies covering key concepts and geographical regions. A "biographical appendix" offers brief info on famous anthropological people.
Ref. GN 307 .E648 1996
Encyclopedia of the Peoples of the World.
Brief introductions to contemporary peoples and ethnic groups.
Ref. GN 495.4 q.E53 1993
Encyclopedia of World Cultures. 10 vols.
Lists cultures alphabetically and gives brief information (where known) about history, kinship, economy, marriage, religious customs and so on. Entries include a bibliography of at least one item, usually more.
Ref. GN 550 q.E53 1991
Fieldwork in the Library.
Subtitled: "A guide to research in anthropology and related area studies." Offers in-depth descriptions of a large number of library sources.
Ref. Z 5111 .W47 1994
International Encyclopedia of the Social & Behavioral Sciences. 25 vols.
An essential encyclopedia covering the social sciences. Entries are the length of short articles, are signed, and include bibliographies. There is one index volume for subjects and another for names. The second edition is available online through the library.
Ref. H41 .I58 2001
Introduction to Library Research in Anthropology.
A basic guide to just about everything you need to know: searching library catalogs, specialized bibliographies, indexes and abstracts, HRAF, etc.
Ref. Z 5111 .W44 1998
The Sage Encyclopedia of Social Science Research Methods. 3 vols.
Provides essays, with bibliographies, on methods and isues in social science research.
Ref. H62 q.L456 2004
- American Folklore: An Encyclopedia. Ref. GR101 q.A54 1996
- American Indians. 3 vols. Ref. E 76.2 .A45 1995
- Biographical Dictionary of Social and Cultural Anthropology. Ref. GN20 .B56 2004
- Companion Encyclopedia of Archaeology. 2 vols. Ref. CC70 .C59 1999
- Dictionary of Concepts in Cultural Anthropology. Ref. GN 307 .W56 1991
- Dictionary of Qualitative Inquiry. Ref. H61 .S4435 2001
- Encyclopedia of Medical Anthropology: Health and Illness in the World's Cultures. 2 vols. Ref. RA418 .E354 2004
- Encyclopedia of Prehistory. 7 vols. Ref. GN710 q.E53 2001
- Encyclopedic Dictionary of Archaeology. Ref. CC70 q.K56 2000
- History of Physical Anthropology. 2 vols. Ref. GN50.3 .H57 1997
- Folklore. 2 vols. Ref. GR 35 .F63 1997
- The Garland Encyclopedia of World Music. 10 vols. Ref. ML100 .G16 1998 and online
- Handbook of American Indians North of Mexico. 2 vols. Ref. E 77 .H68
- International Dictionary of Anthropologists. Ref. GN 20 q.I5 1991
- International Encyclopedia of Linguistics. 4 vols. Ref. P29 q.I58 2003
- The Oxford Companion to Archaeology. Ref. CC70 .O96 1996
Definitions of Terms and Abbreviations
Ref. = Reference collection, first floor
RRef.= Ready reference, shelves behind the reference desk
Periodicals = Level A
GovDoc = U.S. Government Documents, second floor
Reference Indexes = Alphabetically arranged at the end of the reference collection
Microform Area = Reading room east of the reference desk, near microform drawers
q. = Oversized books: interfiled in reference and scores; at end of classes in other collections